Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Click above on the link.... of a great-inspiring blogger! An artifact is anything made, modified or used by a human culture.  I’m sure we think of archaeology as the study of stuff you find buried underground, but I think I’ll use this month to list all the old stuff…. Antique junk…keepsakes that my parents left in the Woodridge home…..a lot of artifacts above-ground! 

My favorite is study of artifacts can be found in an old, old cemetery…like the gravestones, the hand carved headstones!  Archaeologically speaking, gravestones are a particularly valuable artifact in that one aspect of them is controlled: the date.  Since most people were buried shortly after they died, the date of death on the stone was generally very close to when it was carved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment