Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Toombstone Tuesday..... Ahhhh...haaaa
In 1917, the Fifth Annual Convocation of the Church of God in Christ
The Board of Seven
1. Bishop Wyoming Wells
2. Bishop A.B. McEwen, Chairman Emeritus
3. Bishop O.M. Kelly
4. Bishop J. Bailey, Chairman
5. Bishop J. O Patterson, Secretary
6. Bishop L. H. Ford
7. Not Named
One hundred years ago, the Gospel preached by mainline churches failed to create enthusiasm among the masses. The revivals of the Second Great Awakening in the 1800s did refocus the attention of the nation upon man and his salvation, but failed to re-establish the New Testament church’s charismatic experiences. Meanwhile, Rev. Charles Fox Parham, critical of his church’s modernistic teachings, rediscovered God through a personal healing and formed a holiness-slanted Bible college in Topeka, Kansas. There, while Parham was away on a speaking tour, students in prayer began speaking in other languages, considering this a gift bestowed upon them by God.
Newspapers reported this Kansas phenomenon, as did other ministers and colleges. Similar occurrences in Wales and at the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles confirmed the Kansas students’ experiences. Many believed these outpourings to be the “latter rain” spoken of by the prophet Joel. G. B. Cashwell, editor of a monthly North Carolina-based Apostolic magazine, made a trip to Los Angeles to investigate. During his visit, he received the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
In January 1906, Cashwell returned to North Carolina to open a revival in Durham. A year later, he visited Memphis to bring the message to L. P. Adams, pastor of the Independent Holiness Church, holding services in his home at 736 Richmond (one block southwest of the East McLemore/Mississippi Blvd. intersection).
Adams, a well-educated lawyer and teacher, together with Rev. Charles H. Mason, an Azusa Street visitor-turned-believer, co-founded the Church of God in Christ. Mason, head of the African-American segment, and Adams, the Caucasion, often worshiped together in tents and rented halls.
In 1908, the Adams group raised a tent on Trigg Avenue between Florida and Adelaide Streets, attracting hundreds. That autumn, a downtown storefront was rented at the corner of 129 Jefferson Avenue and N. 2nd Street. In 1911, the church---called the Grace and Truth Church of God in Christ---added to its membership Ralph M. Riggs, a young man who 42 years later became the General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God.
The following year, the Church of God in Christ, several Pentecostal churches and Apostolic Faith Assemblies were invited to participate in an informal conference in Hot Springs, Arkansas during the first week of April 1914.
Attending from Memphis were Adams, Mason, Riggs and Paul Van Vaden. Planned as a means for Pentecostal fellowship, the convention culminated in the organization of the Assemblies of God fellowship.
Upon returning to Memphis, white man and a black man, respectively == Adams and Mason remained with the Church of God in Christ.
Always in search of any manuscript or bio that would include by grandfather..... these four men's pictures are listed on the bottom of the photo-board.....
Bishop T. B. Sipuel
Rev. Carl Prather
Rev. John D. Goodman
Rev. Jone Kemp