Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 3: The Automobile

Week 3: Cars.  Are there some car mysteries in my family that might well tell me about my grandparents?  Expand on this topic and describe the car(s) your parents drove and any childhood memories attached to it.
This challenge runs from Saturday, January 15, 2011 through Friday, January 21, 2011.

Back on June 2009 (tag Big Mama) I listed a photo of my maternal grandmother proudly standing beside an old care (my impression,,, hmmmn) as she was living in Chickasha OK @ her home: I know it was next door heading south / of 601 S. First Street (she and Dad Sipuel owned both properties).  QUESTION:  was this her first... with such a proud smile.  And who and what was cut out of the picture?  I don't know that I have the original photo... I scanned a good number of documents here at my place of employment.



A funny thing happened////   I cropped the car out of this photo... So to have this blog is to have the original Photo !!!
I asked my husband to help me identify this car....he was stumped and didn't have time.  So I began my google search as seen in the following posts....    The distinctive hood shape and ornament was the key feature.  I checked Packards, Ford, Chevy, Nash, Cadillac, Olds... and then the magical find!


Here are a few facts seldom highlighted about my grandparent.   My husband said wow... did they have money back in the day?  YEP.... my sister and I noted throughout all old family photo's that the Sipuel children always had shoes and socks (not barefoot like other children of that time period)  Little Lemuel was fully clad in one of his baby pictures.


Big Mama owned two homes and another couple of lots in Chickasha, OK.  They were well-to-do in Tulsa prior to the 1921 Riot...  Dad Sip was pastoring several churches even at that time.   It's said that Big Mama never worked; that she was a homemaker and civic leader in the community.  



No comments:

Post a Comment